What’s in a Name

We’ve broken up the project into two distinct areas: design and development. I’m sure that sounds elementary, however there are other ways to break down an applications development (more to come on why we choose the path we did). Being charged with the design aspect and with the business end of things in my head, I tend to look at things differently. Here is how we came up with our application’s name.

What limitations did we apply and why?

With every logo, company name, or product name one has certain limitations or guidelines to follow. Since this is an internal project and not a client project we had no initial constraints. I on the other hand had several in mind. The name had to:

  • be marketable. (meaning could easily design a campaign around it.)
  • be memorable.
  • be catchy.
  • be fun.
  • be short in syllables (so it wouldn’t take an hour to say)
  • have the domain name available. (preferably the dot com, but a dot net would suffice)
  • have an association with the application. (preferred, but not required)

How did we start?

I always stress about coming up with a name, mainly as a designer because I’d like some idea as to what direction to start designing. So where to start coming up with a name? We started with the obvious, what did the application do. I did a web search and jotted down some interesting words. Then we listed play on words based on it and we added words that were complimentary to them that we liked. Still more lists of some words in reverse. As desperation was setting in (not really it just felt like it to me), we tried using the Top Level Domain as part of the name. At this point we didn’t really have a name we immediately felt was perfect. We had several worth keeping on the list, and exploring further.

BINGO! (almost)

This entire process took a few days of searching, making a list, bouncing ideas back & forth and off friends. Then it hit us — the perfect name was on our original list. We liked the name, the fun-ness of it, the marketability. One by one our criteria was met…. until we came to the dot com. It wasn’t available. Wouldn’t you know!

I like seeing who owns the domains I want, so I took a peak and got angry. It’s a SEDO page someone is sitting on. The dot net was available so we bought it just in case I couldn’t work out a deal for the domain. I emailed the owner of the domain to see if he’d be interested in selling it. He replied with what I expected: “sure, make me an offer.” So I made a very modest offer, expecting a counter. What I got shocked me! “Take your offer and multiply it by 30, and I might be interested,” was the reply I received. I countered with double my original offer and left the ball in their court. I was happy with the dot net domain so if we got the dot com domain – it would be icing on the cake.

And the winner is…

We’ve selected Code Eight. I know you’re thinking what on earth does this have to do with our application. The application we’re building is an innovative web-based backup utility. Code Eight is the police code for “requesting backup,” so it’s a perfect fit!

Get Notified

Head over and sign up to be notified when it’s ready to use! http://www.CodeEight.net

1 comment

  1. A name should be short and simple. Something easy to remember and has a direct correlation to whatever it is the site is all about. I once thought that the more complicated the name, the better. Of course, I found out quickly enough that that wasn’t the way to go at all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *